I love pattern mixing! Once upon a time the rules for patterns in garments were quite strict, but now it seems like the rule book has been thrown out the window; and even though I’m not a quilter, I have noticed the incredible leaps made by modern quilters in their use of colour and print. Mixing a variety of patterns together helps the eye move, many quilters already know this, but it also looks modern and brilliant in garments.
Confused about pattern mixing? We’ve dreamt up a few combinations available right here at Bargain Box!
Some pattern mixing tips:
- Start with a monochromatic mix if you’re scared.
- Try mixing a large print with a small print.
- Match colours, not prints.
- Stripes, checks, gingham and dots are great mixers for noisier companions.
- If you’re uncertain, break up your prints with a solid.
- Pick out a colour in your main fabric and choose a coordinating print in that colour.
Are you feeling a little more bold about pattern mixing now?